4.1.15

New Years Resolutions

This time of year is always an interesting one.  It's a mix between having great hopes and plans for the upcoming year, but also the mourning of a year gone by - or perhaps a celebration of surviving the past 12 months.

But one thing that is sure, is being inundated on TV, Facebook, emails, posters, others on what will your New Year's resolution be.  It's so out there, you can't help but feel that you must make a resolution or if not you are somehow missing out.

I tend to prefer September as a new start - I think it's the whole transition to a new season, and I always loved going back to school!  I had a few goals that I set for myself then, because I also find the pressure of the "new year" can be overwhelming - I mean you just get through a season of absolute indulgence in most areas of life, and we are expected a week later to just "change".  And resolutions always seem so HUGE.  Losing weight, giving up alcohol, going to the gym 12 times a week, running a marathon, saying goodbye to sugar...it's all just so much and so big - it's a wonder so few people actually follow through with their resolutions


In preparing for the new year, and how I was going to "label" my new years "resolutions", I  decided to actually look up the definition of what a resolution is to help me out.  The Collins English Dictionary defines a New Year's resolution as "a promise to yourself or decision to do something, especially to improve one's behaviour or lifestyle in some way, during the year ahead".

I really like "a promise to yourself".  I think so often we make resolutions, shout them out on Facebook, or to whoever will listen in the hopes that sharing them and making them out loud will make them more real and hopefully others around you will make you be more accountable to sticking to them.  But in the end, if you don't truly make the promise to yourself, and want to do something for you it's very easy to let things slide.  It's easy to justify why you didn't go to the gym or why you ate a donut for lunch to someone else, but, you still need to live with you, and if you haven't completely bought into or are ready to pursue your resolution, I've learned that it just won't happen.  You have to start at the root.  YOU.  That is what I have been working on these last few weeks as I've been preparing for the new year.  My resolutions need to be for me.  They need to be meaningful to me.  I have to be ready and willing to make the changes, because in the end, I only truly need to be accountable to me.  I have to live in my head and with myself on a daily basis.  Because if I'm not willing to help myself and change myself, how can I expect others to help me and support me through the journey?

That's not to say I'm not going to take absolutely every advantage I have from the wonderful people that surround me.  I have a "weight loss" challenge set with hubby, sister #3 and brother in law.  Because what I have learned about myself, is if $$ or beating my husband is involved, I do work a bit harder...just to win.  A great friend and neighbour is a much more experienced vegetarian/vegan than I am and I will be picking her brain and asking for her support as much as I can - she's already started me off with a great cookbook for my birthday!  I have some great blogs that I follow and books that I'm reading for inspiration, ideas and plans.  I have a great group of co-workers who have helped me transition to a completely different position in the last year, and are no doubt a great source of cheer and support throughout the day - I mean, we probably spend as much time with our co-workers than our significant others!

This post was to share my thought process in setting or deciding on my "new year's resoultions".  I have learned it's so much more than just saying outloud "I will...."  there is so much more preparation involved, especially in mentally preparing yourself for the change.  Change isn't easy - but I'm ready for some!  This quote from Socrates sums it up I think...

 

Cheers!
Alisia

No comments :

Post a Comment